Kitchener (Remote) - Full Time
Encircle is leading the $2 trillion dollar property and casualty insurance industry out of the dark ages of pen and paper processes, into the digital age of transparency and empowerment. Our easy-to-use software platform enables thousands of restoration contractors and insurance professionals around the world to process claims faster. We’re a remote-first company with a collaboration hub located in the heart of downtown Kitchener. We’re looking to add new members to our all-star team as we continue to grow and scale!
About the Role
As a Software Developer, you’ll be joining an amazing development team of 24 people. Software developers at Encircle are all considered to be potentially full-stack. You are able to work across a number of platforms, including:
- Server Development - Python, Rust, PostgreSQL, SQLAlchemy, Tornado
- Web Development - Typescript, React, HTML, CSS
- Mobile Development - Swift/Objective C (iOS), Kotlin/Java (Android), Typescript
- Infrastructure - Kubernetes, Pulumi, Typescript, Prometheus, ElasticSearch, Kibana
What You’ll be Doing:
At Encircle, you will join the Rearguard team initially to:
- Help with our prioritized backlog by squashing bugs or adding small independent well specified features.
- Learn our custom libraries, tools, and workflows that combine with existing server, mobile, and web stacks to deliver a mature platform that solves real problems at scale.
- Participate in our code review, request-for-comment, and blameless post-mortem processes to catch mistakes and suggest improvements.
- Research and evaluate the ever changing landscape of technologies to find alternatives or new solutions to known hard problems.
With growing familiarity and confidence, you will be eligible to join feature teams, which represent the majority of our new feature development:
- Feature teams are small teams, usually 2 - 4 developers, that are hyper focused on delivering a specific product objective using an Agile based model of execution.
- Independently work with a product manager, designer, and technical lead to understand requirements and deliver robust, readable, observable, well-tested code that delivers value.
- Use strong communication and forecasting skills to estimate deadlines and keep all stakeholders informed on progress.
What You’ll Bring:
- A Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering degree or equivalent experience through self-teaching.
- An empathy for the real problem that needs to be solved. When objectives are unclear, ask the hard questions up front. Avoid non-solutions or make-work.
- Excellent organizational and written communication skills.
- Experience working in a startup is a bonus.
- Willingness to learn, cooperate with other developers, and perform both guided and independent research.
Encircle is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided by Encircle throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.
At Encircle, we VALUE the team we’re building!
- Define your own BALANCE - we want our team to take the time they need with flexible work arrangements, and self-managed vacation time, so they're well-rested and energized.
- Work where you WORK BEST - we invest in creating both a comfortable work-from-home environment for our employees with the flexibility to join us in our co-working space (collaboration hub) in downtown Kitchener.
- We are PEOPLE-FOCUSED and our success is achieved through a culture of collaboration, trust and transparency.
- Choose your path and we’ll support your continued GROWTH along the way.
- Your personal WELL-BEING is important to us and we’ll provide the support you need to bring your best self to work every day.